Monday, March 07, 2005

Fantasy Baseball draft

I got my first fantasy baseball draft out of the way this weekend. I drafted last in the first round, which actually has to be the worst possible spot. Yeah you get to pick last in the first round, and then right away first in the second round, but the problem is that all of the best superstars off of the board. I had to go with Mark Prior and Ichiro Suzuki with my first two picks which is really against my personal philosophy. Usually I like to go up the middle and get my catcher, second baseman, and shortshop's out of the way early. This team of mine ended up with Crosby and Uribe at 2nd and SS, which sucks. I was happy with my later rounds though, as I got some late steals like AJ Pierzinski, Ray Durham, and Jermaine Dye.

I think I am going to have to hit the waiver wires early in this league...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ilk said...

Hmm. Your draft style is way different from mine. I tend to go with pitching early, although much like you I did take Ichiro in the first round. (I had 6th pick in a 15 team league).

With one pick left, here's how the West Side Hitmen are shaping up:

SP: Carl Pavano, Freddy Garcia, Sidney Ponson
RP: Ray King, TBD
1B: Paul Konerko
2B: Mark Loretta, Placido Polanco
SS: Cristian GOOZ-man
3B: Jose Valentin
OF: Ichiro Suzuki, Andruw Jones, Eric Byrnes
C: Johnny Estrada

8:35 AM  
Blogger southsider2k5 said...

Yeah I like to look at the positions that there are not a lot of depth at. A Tejada at SS is a huge advantage vs drafting a big guy in the OF or 1B/3B. I do grab staring pitching early, but usually wait for a closer to fall to me.

My Team
C-J Lopez
C-AJ Pierz
1b-Konerko
1b-Nevin
2b-Uribe
2b-Durham
SS-Crosby
SS-K Greene
3b-Blalock
3b-Crede
OF-Ichiro
OF-Matsui
OF-C Wilson
OF-T Nixon
OF-Dye

SP's
Prior
Buehrle
Harden
Dav Wells
Penny
El Duque

RP's
Nathan
Kolb
Linebrink
Gordon

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ilk said...

Wow. No South Side bias shows up in your picks!

(chuckles)

2:02 PM  
Blogger southsider2k5 said...

Bias maybe. But I got Dye, AJ Pierz, and El Duque after the 20th round. Pierz is a solid starter for most leagues, let alone as a back up. If Dye can play 140 games, he will put up 30/100, and I am trusting KW when he said Hernandez was healthy.

They are all low risk high reward late picks. If they flop, they get dropped.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home